Monday, May 6, 2013

Hot hot in the Wedding Room

I have had to change my comments' controls.  I am getting all kinds of spam.  I am still allowing anonymous comments.  But I put in the awful write the word and prove you are human thing.  I really want anyone to comment so bear with  me and try to figure out the stupid word.   

Wednesday the Bay Area was in the middle of a heat wave.  Even San Francisco and Oakland were in the 90s.  Because they rarely are that hot the air conditioning doesn't seem to understand it has to crank up and fight to keep the buildings cool.  The Marriage Factory was warm on the first floor.  The Wedding Room was hot hot hot. That room is usually 69 or 70 degrees.  It is kept cooler than the rest of the building because  nervous couples feel the heat more.  A cool room will help them stay calm and maybe keep them from passing out.

Wednesday I was warned the room was hot, from the setting and from the two sides of the room being glass.  The blinds were pulled but the room was 5 degrees higher than usual and climbing.  Maintenance had been called to lower the setting, they never showed.

As you all know, I do not do heat. There's an old saying that horses sweat, men perspire, women glow.  I don't glow, I sweat.  Not a nice feeling when you are dressed up in your big girl clothes.  So how did the heat affect the wedding couples?  A little bit.  But I was the one literally mopping my brow.

One bride was really really nervous.  The wedding party and I got on the elevator and then three other people got on.  One was "boss" L from upstairs.  They were all carrying plates of food.  Boss L congratulated the couple and asked how they were doing.  The bride said she was so nervous and she was really hungry.  L offered her his plate of untouched food.  She declined but seemed touched he would offer it.  I thought it was a sweet move.

After the ceremony I apologized for the hot room.  The bride laughed and said she thought it was just her and her nerves.

1 comment:

vallery said...

Looks the parents read a lot of comics. The names don't sound real.