Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Back to School

Last week I did not work with the First Graders.  I was having a bad day with this dumb cold that comes and goes.  But this week I was there.  When I went to check in at the office a woman kept looking at me.  I thought she looked familiar but I couldn’t place her.  She asked me my name, I told her, and she got really excited.  She yelled, “You married us.  I knew I recognized you and your voice.”  The Marriage Factory and school have crossed paths.  I guess it was only a matter of time.  I have married thousands of couples over the years.  Once or twice other people have told me I married them.  I felt bad I didn’t really remember her.  She was just a familiar face.

It was a good thing I felt well enough to go to school.  The two parent volunteers were sick and it was just me to help Ms. H.  I worked with children at different stations.  One little girl totally shuts down when I try to help or prod her to work.  She has done this every time I talk to her.  She may be one it is best I just leave alone.

Ms. H asked me to read a story about Lincoln.  I showed the children where his birthplace in Kentucky was.  Then where his family moved to in Indiana, and the move to Illinois.  I read about travel on flatboats and by horse and buggy.  We discussed slavery, the Civil War.  Then we talked about Lincoln’s life and his assassination.

This is where the difference between now and the 1800’s became really hard for them.  Some of their questions:  Why didn’t the Secret Service have guards for him?  Why didn’t someone use their cell phone to call for help?  How come the police didn’t use helicopters to track Booth?  Why weren’t there cars?  Why did Abe have to borrow books from the neighbors, why didn’t he go to the library?  How could they own people?  Why did Lincoln have to walk two miles to school?  Why didn’t someone drive him to school?

As you can see, they had great questions and I hope I helped them to understand.  We don’t just read fun books to them.  We teach with story time as well as entertain them. 

No comments: