Saturday, March 7, 2009

Scattered Thoughts

I say scattered thoughts, because it is that kind of day. I have lots of different things to do, some related, some not. And things happened while I was out. So here goes.

I am preparing for a company dinner tonight. We invited the guests last night. At 10:00 PM we figured out a menu. I changed part of it at the grocery. Marty is blowing glass, so I am head chef and bottle washer.

This is Saturday, I don't dress until the afternoon. I don't make the bed period. I sleep until 9 or 10. By 10:30 I had dressed, read the paper, made the bed, and was off to run errands and go to Safeway. Not particularly thrilled to do this.

First I went to the library to pick up some books on hold. I pulled into a parking spot and the meter had failed. Oakland will still ticket you on broken meters. So I pulled out and started into the next spot. As I was pulling in, a man and a toddler on the loose started to get in the car to my left. I was moving and he let her run to the car and wait for him. And then she kept moving around. I sat there for a couple of minutes while he unlocked the car, put his books in, and finally he put the child in the car. This is a busy lot. I was not the only car pulling in or out. Some people shouldn't be allowed to have children.


At Safeway they had nice green beans, so the wild rice and asparagus plan was tossed. I got home about noon and grabbed a quick lunch. And then I started breaking beans. For non Southerners, we string them, break them, and cook them slow for a looooooooong time, with ham and bacon grease. It was a lot of beans and an hour later before they were ready to be seasoned and simmered. They are now doing their thing. Later I will throw potatoes in on top of them.


I have prepared a fresh fruit dessert, a shrimp salad, started my appetizers and I still have lots to do. But it is break time and I need to play on my computer.

Thoughts about Safeway. Why do people stop their carts in the middle of the aisle blocking both ways. OR stop across the aisle from another cart blocking everything. Why do idiot people ( men and women) leave their purses in the cart and wander off? Why do check out clerks seem to not like my reusable bags? They sell them. Maybe because I have everything in the bags on the conveyer belt.


I need to now set the table, find cocktail napkins and plates, and give the house a lick and a promise.

No comments: