Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Really, I am a good cook

Tonight's dinner was a mess.  I planned a Mexican chicken breast dish cooked in the oven at 400 degrees.  I would serve it over rice.  And I would serve sauteed two types of mushrooms, with onions, garlic, hot peppers, and snow peas.  Sounds great doesn't it?

I have made this chicken dish for years.  You skin the breast, pour the sauce over it and stick it in the oven.  In  20 to 25 minutes it is ready to serve.  While it cooks, the rice and veggies cook.  Well after 30 minutes the chicken is still raw.  Not just a little pink, it is raw, dead animal raw.  It is disgusting.  I took it off the bone, cut it into pieces and put it back into the oven.  15 minutes later it is done.  Great.

I plated the chicken over the rice and put the mushroom/snow pea dish on the side of the plate.  We sat down and began to eat. The mushroom dish was so salty Marty wouldn't eat it.  The only thing I can figure is I salted it twice.  We don't use a lot of salt.  But this dish was really bad.  What a waste of great mushrooms, wine, peppers, and snow peas. 

The chicken was good.  And the cookies I made a couple of night ago were great.  But the veggie, really bad. This just goes to show, no matter how much experience a cook has, you can have an off night.

No comments: