Saturday, January 18, 2014

If it's yellow . . .

If it's yellow, let it mellow.
If it's brown, flush it down.
 
This is California's returning  motto.  I first read this little poem in a Herb Caen column. California was in the  middle of an awful drought and we had just  moved here.  Coming from Kentucky I couldn't wrap my head around a lack of rain or low rivers.  But I was brought up to speed when I learned about water rationing.  1977 was our first drought.  Through the last 30+ years we have had several others.
 
Yesterday Governor Jerry Brown declared a drought state of emergency.  He asked for voluntary water rationing of 20%.  Mandatory rationing can't be far behind.
 
I now know what grey water is and how to use it.  I can compost, take Navy showers, catch the warm up water for a shower.  We will use more paper towels and paper plates, wear clothes a little longer before laundering them.  That poem may be posted in our bathroom. 
 
My big worry is we already are pretty conservative with water.  We have lived in California long enough to understand the water problems.  Cutting back when we are fairly frugal will be hard.  We can do this, we have done it before.
 
Pray for rain.

No comments: