Thursday, March 27, 2014

Testing the recipe for Salt and Pepper Shrimp

For the first time in a while we had a recipe to test for Cook's Illustrated.  They have sent other recipes several times but they were mostly food I can't eat anymore.  This one isn't real healthy either.  But we made it.  Or I should say Marty tested it.   The recipe is for Salt and Pepper Shrimp.  I love shrimp, but I never order this dish because you are supposed to eat the "crispy" shells.  No thank you.


This is most of the ingredients.  The shrimp is thawing in the sink.


Marty mashing up garlic and other good things.


Shrimp


Coating the shrimp with corn starch so it will be "crispy".


I am sure you have heard the expression, boiling in oil.   


Shrimp will be served on shredded lettuce.


Sliced jalapenos coated with corn starch all fried and ready to be taken out.


Shrimp and jalapenos combined with fresh ginger, garlic and other goodness.


Marty flipping the contents of the skillet.


Platter of the finished dish, ready for dinner.

I put on my big girl panties and ate some of the shrimp with shells.  Still didn't like the shells, and I ended up peeling most of the shrimp.  The flavors were good, but this is a very very greasy dish. Even though every thing fried was drained on paper towels, there was still a pool of oil.  

We decided we didn't like it well enough to ever make again.  There is a lot of prep with any Chinese dish, but this was not worth the effort.  

No comments: