Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Tuesday was one long day

I began the day at 5:00 A.M. by waking up with major leg cramps.  I got out of bed to stand on the leg to force the muscles straight.  That’s when it went horribly wrong.  The leg and foot wouldn’t straighten and wouldn’t hold me, and down I went.  I bounced off the side of the IRON bed frame, hit my head on the end table, and the damn cramps kept cramping.

Meanwhile I have nearly scared Marty to death.  He is trying to help me up, and I still can’t stand on the leg.  All of this is happening in the dark.  Finally the cramps start to ease and he helps me up.  I  walked around for 10 minutes until the leg almost felt normal.  I went back to bed.

I couldn’t sleep, so I gave up and showered and dressed.  It was my day to work with the first graders.  It had rained all night, and was still raining. Yuck, this means inside recess.  Turns out that was the least of my worries.

Soon after I arrived Ms H. had a phone call from the office.  Her daughter was sick, she had to pick her up from another school.  She told me, handed me some phonics’ worksheets, and said she would be back in under an hour.

Holy crap, Batman!  I am in charge.  The volunteer mother and I are a little worried.  Even first graders know if the teacher is gone, the “subs” are fair game.  When Ms H returned we hadn’t lost anyone and they hadn’t tied us up in the corner.

Marty picked me up at noon in Oakland.  I dropped him  at his Walnut Creek office.  I drove to Pleasant Hill to get my hair cut and curled.  I changed into big girl clothes in the bathroom and took off.  I ran errands, ate lunch at 3:30.  I went back to Walnut Creek at 5:00 to pick up Marty. (all of these stops are anywhere from 5 to 10 miles apart)

You would think it would be time to go home for supper.  Wrong.  We have a business Open House in Rossmoor to attend  from 5:30 to 7:00. There were appetizers and they were good, but they weren’t supper.  We left at 6:50.  Still not going home.

On his way home, Marty dropped me in the Berkeley Hills for my book group. I was a little late, but hadn’t missed much except the social time.  At 9:00 P.M.  Marty came back up the hill and picked me up.

Then we finally had supper.

No comments: