Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pumpkins, Math, Phonics, it must be Tuesday

It was Tuesday and another day at Kaiser School with the First Graders.  There were a lot of parents volunteering.  Some repeats from last week, and some new parents.  We had one adult for each work  station which was nice.

I was working with the group writing about their music class.  They had each pasted a picture on the paper and had to write three descriptive sentences.  Of course they wrote It was fun,  I liked it, or It was loud .  I asked the group what is It?  They thought I was clueless, "We are writing about  music class, you know that Ms. Appel."  Nope, can't tell that from the sentences.  And then I asked why "it" was fun.  Finally the light bulbs when on and some nice sentences were written.  I like music class because it is loud.  We had drums and we got to clap. I love loud clapping.   Now I know what it is and why they had fun.

While they were at recess I took some pictures of the classroom.


Some of you may recognize this, a blood pressure machine, mine.  While they are out of the room I check my BP and then take my meds.

 

I am sure when I was in First Grade I had no idea what alliterative meant.  Impressive teaching, she teaches up, not down.

 
                                  Heavy thought for a First Grader  Fair is not always equal. 


Phonics' books, decodable reading books, journals are on the desks.  Lots of learning going on.

After recess I read a book to them.  I do love to read to children.  Ms. H gave me 4 books and let me pick the one I wanted to read.  They all were Halloween/pumpkin related.  I picked the silliest one.

The Vanishing Pumpkin written by Tony Johnston and illustrated by Tomie dePaola.  Lots of repetition and silly magic.  The class loved it.

Again as I left sweet children gave me hugs and kisses.  It was a lovely morning.

No comments: