Wednesday, December 21, 2011

School

Last week was the last week of school before the Christmas break.  Can you say wild children.  They were really on a tear.  I became the cross ole lady and Ms H was loud.  This woman rarely raises her voice.  Tuesday, she yelled. 

We continued working on the wreath of contractions.  I spent most of the time peeling off words that they just glued on in order to be done.  I worked with reading, phonics, and an art/math project.  Again with the gluing. 

The project was the Twelve Days of Christmas.  They had two sheets with the 12 items of the song.  They were to find the one with the word first, write 1st, cut it out, and glue to a long strip of paper.  Then find second, write 2nd, and continue.  Well, this didn't go well for about a third of the class. They found anything, wrote 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc, cut out and glued.  Again, I was peeling off boxes, helping them to correct what they wrote, and re-glued.  I was one sticky mess.

I read a great book to them, Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins.  Being protestant, I can't pronounce some of the words correctly.  I had asked the 3 Jewish boys to help me with pronounciation.  They loved telling an adult how to read a word.  This book tell how Hershel the Trickster fools the goblins into allowing Hanukkah to be celebrated. There are great illustrations in the books, scary golblins with lots of details.   Sorry, none of the websites show anything except the cover, or really bad videos. 

The class (really Ms H)  gave me a lovely card and a pair of silver earrings.  It was very nice to be appreiciated for my help.  I get as much out of working with the children as they do.

No comments: