Tuesday, January 12, 2010

SCHOOL DAZE

Today at school was different. They have begun a science program that will involve planting a garden, learning the nutrition values of the foods, and I think eating new foods. Because of this the children had a short lesson in our classroom and then were pulled out in small groups all morning.

During centers one table was making a "If I had a dream" project. They wrote a dream for the world on a sort of human figure. Looks more like a gingerbread boy. They color it, add yarn and other things to make hair, eyes, etc. Then cut it out and glue to a piece of construction paper. I am checking them and notice J has glued yellow yarn between his figure's legs. It hangs from the crotch to the feet. I am afraid to ask what the hell, so I clue Ms H in. She checks it out, you're gonna love this one, J says he is peeing.

Just to make it a busier day, there was also a musical program put on by the K-3 grades. This went on for ever. Each class sang more than one song, some as many as three. They were cute and I am sure they sounded cute. But there was one huge problem. The music teacher seemed to think it was all about her. She wore a head set microphone, and it was turned all the way up. Consequently the children could rarely be heard. I couldn't believe her. She should have been leading them, not singing at the top of her lungs.

Between all these interruptions we did get some one on one work done. My two little boys, K and A, who really struggle to read, were working hard today. No crying, no fussing, no I can't read. A would tell me, "I don't know that word." And then we would sound it out together. But joy of joys, after struggling through the little book he looked up at me and asked, "Can I read another one?" Yes you can, and he sailed through it. It was a step harder, but he really read the book, even with expression.

As I was signing out in the office, I was introduced to K's mother, and I told her how hard he had worked today. She hugged me.

All in all, a lovely day.

No comments: