Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Voice is Back!

Monday my voice was almost back to normal, so I felt my voice would hold up to do marriage ceremonies. Thestaff and volunteer had been really busy Monday morning.  It was the first day of the Chinese New Year and an auspicious day to get married.

I was ready to go.  But I sat and read for almost 2 hours.  Where were the couples?  Finally close to 3:00 a license! I married 4 couples that afternoon, and they were spread over almost 2 hours. That is really slow. Nothing for almost 2 hours and then I ended up staying close to 30 minutes after the building was closed. Two couples had punched in close to 4:00.  By the time I received the licenses, it was getting close to quitting time.

Two weddings stand out.  Again it was the contrast of the couples that makes me remember them.

Couple 1:  They were a Chinese couple in their early 20s. This was a first marriage for both of them.
 
The groom wore a black suit and had a boutonniere of Baby’s Breath and a Sterling Rose. The bride was a teeny tiny woman.  She wore a lavender taffeta dress with a square neckline.  It was taffeta almost to the knees, then there was a 6 inch tulle lavender ruffle.  The dress tied at the back, and the skirt was slightly full.  She carried a bouquet of Sterling Roses that matched her dress.  I told you she was tiny, her bouquet of two dozen roses and Baby’s Breath was wider than she was.  It was gorgeous, but overpowered her body.

After the ceremony the groom handed me two cellophane wrapped velvet roses.  Below is a picture of the roses.  This was a traditional Chinese gift for weddings.  I can’t take money for doing weddings, but I think this gift was in the legal limits.

IMG_1328
Inside the roses are Hershey Kisses. The are is soon to be were.  I love Hershey Kisses.

The next couple had had several marriages. He had been married 4 times and was now a widower.  She had been married 3 times and was a widow.  I don’t usually have much hope for couples who have that many marriages between them.  But I think this one will last for life.  The groom was born in 1929 and the bride in 1938.  

No comments: