Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I'VE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE. . .

Only two weddings today, and they were at the opposite ends of the spectrum. One good and one so sad/bad. Let's get the bad out of the way first.

The couple was in their mid 20's. They did not talk in the elevator and stood apart. I asked my set of questions. Basically no rings, no vows, just get it over with. They stood at least 2 feet apart with their arms folded across their chests. They would not look at each other and just looked sad. When I asked do you take_____ as your wife, long wait, and then finally yeah. She was about as slow with her answer. I continued and then I was getting to the point of no return. They still weren't looking at each other, nor touching. Just glares over the other's head. One more sentence and they were legally married. I stopped and told them. "I have never done this before. I have to ask, are you sure you want to do this? Your license is good for 90 days, go think this over. I don't think you act like you want to even be here." I talked to them about thinking it over now and not in divorce court. They both said, "We are doing this now." So I married them. No kiss at the end, no hugs, they did not speak at all as we went back down in the elevator. This was so wrong and so sad.

But the next one was so cute. All the clerks were jazzed by it. The groom was born in 1925 and the bride in 1927. They had known each other as teenagers and married others. They had each been widowed in the last 6 or 7 years and had found each other again. They are living together and so in love. And their children told them to go get married. I loved it. They were still sharp and seemed fairly healthy. They were so in love, and this wedding had a kiss. Before, during, and after the wedding. They may be old but they aren't dead.

No comments: