Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Weddings? Yes

I had two, count them, two weddings today. Who gets married on April Fool's Day?

Well the first couple's license was about to expire. It would cost another $84 to get another one. They were an "immigration" couple who have been together 10 years and have a child together. She is Canadian and here on a vacation visa. Right. Anyway she told me they wanted a quickie. I nearly choked. She meant a fast, short ceremony. So I did the 3 legal sentences and one introductory sentence. And then she was disappointed it was so short. No pleasing some people.

The other couple was Chinese. They both had been widowed. He was born in 1937 and she was born in 1945. They spoke no English. He was almost military, in fact he saluted me after shaking my hand. His son translated for them. She buttoned her groom's suit coat and smoothed his hair before the son took some pictures. And then we had the ceremony. They were so in love, and so tender and sweet. They laughed like teenagers during the ceremony.

Love is ageless.

No comments: